Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Mind IT


It started with room no.18 → progressed to LBS Marg, Mulund → landed me back again to flat no. 20, Pune now I am in office (doing internship again) in Pune this time. Well it’s my 2nd week here and familiar with few people around, now, at least the ones around me. An anecdote from my book of life so far…

After my 12th when I decided to go for engineering I had it in my heart to go for IT but as fate would have had it, I ended up with Mechatronics, which by far has turned to be the best decision academically for me so far. But at some corner of my mind IT ka keeda was still residing and so when again the time came to go for another ‘degree’ I again had IT in my mind but this time on, fate didn’t intervene in my stupidity and I got through MBA-IT admissions and landed up in Pune. It is from here the chronicle described in the first paragraph started. I’m here now and so very glad that I didn’t do IT in my engineering otherwise I would never have realize what I’m good at and what I do like doing.

Speaking of which there are two types of distinction that can happen in matter of career choosing: One, you eliminate what you do not want to do. Prioritize your dislikes and then go about chalking your career path about your likes. Two, take up what you do best and move forward, irrespective of prioritizing or anything. I, as many of would have guessed, belong to former. But in my case I have re-refined the elimination part. All I have done in the past 6 years is exploring. Exploring what I like and what I don’t. Forgetting about what I didn’t quite enjoy and working my way up through what I enjoyed. Never forgetting Robert Frost’s “Two Tramps in Mud Time”, which by the way everyone should read at least once.

I see now everyday, everyone rushing to check-in early (including me) so that they can complete their login time and leave in evening. And then I remember my internship last summer I enjoyed what I did then (parts of it). Leaving early was never on my mind. I didn’t mind working past my daily required login time or even working on Saturdays. That was my uniting of avocation and vocation. And this made me realize that I am not cut-out for IT. As much as it is the truth, the truth is also there if I hadn’t gone for it then there would always have been a what-if going around in my mind and now that I am done with it, I can rest that to peace and would move on with I do best.

Guess what--??


My object in living is to unite
My avocation and my vocation
As my two eyes make one in sight.
Only where love and need are one,
And the work is play for mortal stakes,
Is the deed ever really done
For Heaven and the future's sakes.

--Robert Frost (Two Tramps in Mud Time)


Moral of my story- explore. Never be afraid to go a step down from the entire extravagant plan you have made for yourselves. A step down once is better than the endless what-ifs that you would have all the way up.


Disclaimer: The writer is neither a consultant nor an advisor. The definitions and ideas in the above article are writer's own. Readers believe at their own risk. Any similarity to anyone's work on the topic is mere a coincidence. There is no deliberate attempt to defame any choice. The writer does not have a bias towards any choices. Examples are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons or life situations, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

No comments:

Post a Comment